As a progressive organization, Hostelling International USA (HI-USA) is committed to allowing freedom of expression, including maintaining a safe online space for people to express their views.
The people who participate in our online forums are diverse -- and their views on inter-cultural diversity, hostel development and management, social issues and many other topics reflect that diversity. What we all share is the desire to talk seriously about issues that matter.
That being said, everyone who contributes to these conversations should be able to express their views and beliefs in a safe environment, without reproach. In order to foster a safe space for intelligent and respectful dialogue, everyone who participates in our online forums must agree to and abide by the following Code of Conduct:
Debate and conversation is encouraged, but it must remain civil and respectful. We do not tolerate disrespect, discourtesy, vulgarity, or threats of any kind on our online forums.
This means that HI-USA reserves the right to remove all posts and comments that:
- contain threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful, or otherwise objectionable content.
- disrupt dialogue. We do not allow users to repeatedly post the same information to our online forums in a deliberate attempt to "spam", clog or otherwise inhibit open discussion.
- promote violent action, even in jest. This includes threatening or attempting to incite violence toward another user, person or entity for ANY reason.
- reference subjects entirely unrelated to hostelling, inter-cultural education, or travel. This includes topics of an explicitly political nature (e.g."Vote for XX"), personal nature (e.g."Top Chef is my Favorite"), or of a completely unrelated to hostelling nature (e.g. "Why are there no good TV shows?").
- engage in ad hominem attacks (i.e. attack a fellow user, rather than the content of the comment itself), stalking or otherwise harassing others on our forums.
- invade a fellow user's privacy or improperly reveal a fellow user's identity, or personal information.
- attempt to impersonate or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent another user, person or entity.
- violate existing copyright, patent, trademark or other proprietary rights.
- promote unsolicited or unauthorized commercial advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation.
- endanger or harm a minor in any way.
Please note: If a user violates our Code of Conduct, HI-USA reserves the right to ban them from further participation on any of our online forums.
Help us maintain a safe space. Please do not encourage abuse by responding to abusive posts or otherwise engaging in the furthering of inappropriate topics and posts. Should you notice anything you find offensive on HI- USA's online forums, we would appreciate it if you would let us know by sending an email to email@example.com
Thanks you for your cooperation, and we look forward to fostering many engaging conversations about the world of travel and intercultural exchange!