Ideal for Backpackers, Groups, and Scouts Alike – Appalachian Trail Hostels
Just two miles from Harpers Ferry National Historic Park, this cozy lodge stands high on a bluff, overlooking the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers. The 33-bed hostel is perfect for backpackers of the Appalachian Trail, as well as visitors to the Civil War Battlefields of Western Maryland (Antietam, Catoctin, Monocacy). Washington, DC, Baltimore, MD and Gettysburg, PA are only an hour away.
A Hostel Ideal for Outdoor Adventuring
HI-Harpers Ferry is located a mile from post 58 off of the C&O towpath where it overlaps the Appalachian Trail. The perfect gateway for short day hikes and bide rides, guests also love to take dips in the cool waters of the Potomac River, take guided rafting tours or rent a tube and float down the river.
Hostel Activities, Area Activities
Not only can you save money on your vacation by staying at our cheap Appalachian Trail hostel, you can also take advantage of many free or inexpensive activities on our grounds or nearby.
- Use our outdoor equipment to play Frisbee, volleyball, horseshoes, and cornhole.
- Relax in the common room with a book from our library, or build a campfire outside for s’mores. Board games are also available for indoor guests.
- Tuesdays- complimentary cheese pizza and movie night. Saturday nights- Harpers Ferry ghost tours. A community dinner is also held twice a week, as well as a cupcake night at anytime.
Hostel stays start at $22 per night for dorm rooms and $55 per night for private rooms. Taxes and fees are added upon check in.
- Your stay includes sheets, a towel, blankets and a pillow.
- Camping is available at $10 per person. This fee includes access to a port o pot, potable water, a newly built camping pavilion, firepit and grills.
- You can also use the coin operated laundry inside, as well as our inside bathroom facilities ($5 shower fee).
- We also offer a free pancake breakfast and free coffee and tea is provided throughout the day.
- You do not have access to hostel space or the kitchen when camping.
- For thru-hikers, scouts, and children under 18, discount rates are available upon request.
“My young adult grandson, Mike, and I just spent a great few days at the Harpers Ferry Hostel, camping, joining a couple pancake breakfasts and, eventually, volunteering with a few projects. Mike had never been to a hostel, and was totally inspired by the whole environment, talking with other guests, waking up early to engage in hostel life, and applying his artistic ability with some sign painting. We had just hiked six days on the Appalachian Trail and happened upon HF Hostel by the recommendation of another hiker we met in Harper’s Ferry. The homespun environment at HF Hostel made us both believers in hostelling.”
- Air conditioning
- Basic store available at or near the hostel
- Breakfast at or near the hostel
- Common room(s)
- Credit card accepted
- Cycle rental available at or near the hostel
- Discounts and concessions available
- Earth friendly hostel
- Groups welcome
- Individual traveller welcome
- Internet access
- Laundry facilities
- Lockers available
- Self-catering kitchen
- Sheets in price
- Smoking room/area
- Cultural centre nearby
- Historical sites nearby
- Leisure facilities nearby
- Main attractions nearby
- Museums/art galleries nearby
- Restaurants nearby
- River nearby
Address & Contact
For further directions, feel free to contact the hostel at (301)-834-7652
> Total Beds 33
> Private (double)
> Family (double/twin)
> Male Dorm (12 beds)
> Female Dorm (10 beds)
> Co-ed (6 beds)
Office ad Hostel Hours
> Office Hours: 7am-10am & 5pm-10pm
> Checkout 10am
> Check-in 5pm
>May 1st to November 15th
The hostel can be reserved during the off season for a flat rate of $450.00 plus tax per day.