Groups Love Hostelling International USA!
Hostelling International USA (HI USA) is America’s largest network of quality hostels. As a non-profit organization, HI USA offers low-cost, culturally and environmentally conscious places to stay for groups of all ages and sizes in both rural and urban settings. Get the HI USA Advantage with:
- Great Locations
- Friendly & Helpful Staff
- Fun Places to Stay!
Why Choose HI-USA over Hotels?
When your group stays with HI USA, you’ll get affordable rates, effective sleeping arrangements, and a comfortable and friendly atmosphere you won’t find in hotels. You can also rely on a consistent level of cleanliness, security and service through our Assured Quality Standards program. We offer lower prices in comfortable dormitory-style rooms so that your group shares fewer rooms. We also provide common rooms and self-service kitchens to help make your trip more fun and rewarding.
Who Stays with HI-USA?
- University Groups
- School Groups
- Church Groups
- Music Performance Groups
- Sports Teams
- Alternative Spring Break Groups
- Conference Attendees
- Adventure Groups
- Community Service Trips
Group Hostel Options
Group facilities vary at each HI USA hostel depending on the hostel, location, size and the time of year. We have over 50 hostels throughout the country in many key destinations for group trips. Our key destination group hostels are located in the major cities of New York, Boston, Chicago, Washington DC, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Portland and Seattle. These and many of our other urban locations offer a great metropolitan stay, close to all the sites and attractions. If your group is looking for something a little more off the beaten path, we also have hostels in spectacular locations where you can explore National Parks, natural wonders, cultural sites, and historic places, along with many other activities.
What you can expect from our hostels:
- Assured Quality - all our hostels are inspected annually and must meet international standards for comfort, security, cleanliness, privacy and welcome.
- Affordable rates to help make your group's trip possible.
- Shared accommodations in separate male and female dormitory-style rooms.
- Individual bunk beds to ensure each group member's comfort and not having to share a double bed.
- Separate male and female shower and restroom facilities.
- Bed linens are provided to all group participants.
- Self-service kitchen or on-site meal services.
- A complimentary Hostelling International Group Membership, which entitles your group to our HI member rates in the USA and in over 80 countries worldwide.
- Friendly, helpful onsite staff.
- An international, culturally diverse and welcoming atmosphere.
Additional amenities at our
key destination group hostels include:
- Private rooms for group leaders or bus drivers can be reserved, based on availability.
- Parking information for coach buses.
- On-site meeting / program rooms, available upon request at most locations.
- Assistance with group activities; trip itineraries including museum visits, walking tours and service projects.
- Group leader pre-visits to plan your trip.
- Luggage Storage available when pre-arranged.
- Welcome orientation upon arrival, when pre-arranged.
- A wide range of nearby or hostel-based activities and programs (vary by location).
Making a group booking at an HI-USA hostel:
In general, 10 or more people traveling together are considered “a group.” If you have a smaller group but still have trip questions, please let us know as we would be pleased to help you. Group inquiries can be made by contacting our National Sales Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-464-4872 x2. She would also be happy to help if you are interested in staying at multiple hostels in the US or traveling abroad with your group.
Group reservations can be made at all of our hostels. However, our key destination hostels are very well suited for group stays. We know from experience that some groups need a little extra care and attention when it comes to arranging accommodations and itinerary planning, and these hostels are best equipped to meet special group requirements.
Complimentary HI Memberships for Groups
Hostelling International is a non-profit membership organization promoting international understanding and peace though hostelling since 1909. To maintain our ability to offer low-budget accommodations we charge additional fees to non-members.
However, a complimentary Group Membership is available to groups traveling with 10 or more people. A group membership entitles everyone in the group to member rates at all HI-USA hostels as well as over 4000 hostels worldwide. *You must be the group leader of an organized group of 10 or more people in order to apply for a complimentary group membership. The group membership is valid at over 4000 hostels worldwide and does not expire.
The world is getting smaller and you may be considering taking your group abroad. Hostelling International has some great group hostels in countries all around the globe – check out the opportunities here.
Hostelling International USA provides the perfect setting for groups. Besides providing an affordable place to stay, we can help arrange individualized programs and activities for your group including:
- Service projects or collaborations with other groups
- Museum visits
- Walking tours
You can also participate in many of our existing programs and activities.
The hostelling experience can provide your group with affordable rates, meeting rooms and a comfortable and friendly atmosphere not found in hotels.
Membership is required to stay at HI hostels but it is complimentary for groups of 10 or more traveling together. Click here to apply for a complimentary group membership.
Your group can expect the following from our hostels:
- Affordable rates.
- Shared accommodations in separate male/female dormitory-style rooms with 4-12 beds.
- A wide range of nearby or hostel-based activities and programs.
- Self-service kitchen or on-site meal service.
- Same-sex common shower and restroom facilities.
- Bed linens and towels are provided at no extra charge.
- Many hostels have private rooms for group leaders.
- Many hostels have on-site meeting/program rooms, with presentation equipment available upon request.
- International quality standards that ensure a safe, clean and affordable environment.
- Friendly and helpful staff.
- An international, culturally-diverse and welcoming atmosphere.
Frequently Asked Questions
One of the main reasons people contact us is to ask questions about their planned group trip. Many ask similar questions, so to help you we have listed answers to these Frequently Asked Questions for your reference. However, these are only meant as a guide for your planning, should you have any additional questions or requirements not addressed here, simply submit these to our National Sales Manager at email@example.com.
- How many people are considered a group?
- Can I make an online reservation for my group?
- Is the reservation request sent directly to the hostel?
- How do I proceed if my group plans to visit countries outside the US?
- What do I do if my group wants to visit several US cities?
- May I make group reservations at any HI hostel?
- What are your terms and conditions?
- Do I get a discount for booking a group?
- Can I book activities for my group?
How many people are considered a group?
In general, 10 or more people traveling together are considered "a group". If you have a smaller group but still have trip questions please let us know, as we would be pleased to help you.
Can I make an online reservation for my group?
No. This is because group trips require careful planning and special arrangements. It is better that you do not attempt to book and pay for the beds online. Instead, you should initially contact our National Sales Manager directly to help determine your requirements to make your group's stay as comfortable and trouble-free as possible. We will send you a reply with options and answers to your questions. If our response does not adequately meet your requirements - please tell us!
Is the reservation request sent directly to the hostel?
If you send a request through the hostel's group page, it will be sent directly to the hostel. Otherwise, all emails and general request forms go to our National Sales Manager, who is very experienced with group reservations. She will communicate with the hostel and then either contact you or have the hostel contact you directly.
How do I proceed if my group plans to visit countries outside the US?
Please contact our National Sales Manager with your questions, including destination, group size and prospective dates at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do I do if my group wants to visit several US cities?
It is easy to do this. Simply inform our National Sales Manager during your initial inquiry and indicate the locations. She will help coordinate your trip including multiple hostel reservations.
May I make group reservations at any HI hostel?
Yes, based on availability, all HI hostels can accommodate groups. However, our key destination gateway hostel facilities are best suited for group stays. We know from experience that groups need a little extra care and attention when it comes to arranging accommodations and itinerary planning, and these hostels are best equipped to meet special group requirements.
What are your terms and conditions?
The terms and conditions for group reservations may differ slightly at each hostel because HI-USA is an association of youth hostels. Our National Sales Manager will provide specific terms and conditions as they pertain to a given hostel during your initial inquiry. However, should you have concerns during any stage the reservation process, please contact her at email@example.com.
Do I get a discount for booking a group?
All groups with an HI Group Membership are offered our discounted Group Member rates. Additional savings are also offered to groups depending the size of your group, length of stay and time of year. We ask all group leaders to complete a group membership application to assure that your group receives these discounted rates. Click here to order your complimentary Group Membership today!