Fun Loving Changemaker
Travel to you is about having fun, but you know that your journey has a slightly bigger purpose. And when it comes to making a difference in the world, you also know it’s the little things that can make a big impact. Since planning in advance may be half the fun, there are a few things you can do ahead of time to ensure a strong social impact when you arrive.
Pack Your Impact
You may be the only person locals have met from your country, so you have the powerful opportunity to shape perceptions of your own nationality. Here are some things you can do in advance of your trip:
- Learn the customs and taboos.
- Teach yourself how to say hello, please, and thank you before you arrive as a sign of respect to the place you’re visiting.
- Pack your pocket dictionary and keep it handy.
- Do your research on things like tipping, clothing norms, shopping etiquette, and formalities.
Jump Right In – Responsibly
There is so much fun to be had, especially for someone like you who seeks out rich experiences:
- If you can time it right, plan your visit during a local or international holiday.
- Check out a festival, a live performance, or a parade.
- Sample the town’s signature flavors from a food truck or another local vendor, and push yourself to taste the unknown or the intimidating.
- Check out an independent movie theater for an authentic perspective on a topic that interests you.
Unpack Your Impact
Talking about your travels is the best way to make your social impact go viral, and for a fun loving change maker like you, that should come easy! Here are some things you can do when you return home:
- Bring home souvenirs from a local, responsible vendor, as well as a new custom or tradition to share with friends and family.
- Check out organizations like World Merit for becoming a global change maker.
- Find opportunities to work, volunteer, or study abroad with GoOverseas.com.
- Mark your calendar for January and February for HI USA's Great Hostel Give Back, where you can earn free overnights in exchange for volunteering.
- Spread the word about how to #packyourimpact