You’re someone who’s always after that authentic, local experience. You want to be an active participant in the local community and see and do things differently than your typical tourists. And it’s because you understand how eye-opening, life-changing, and more meaningful those types of experiences can be. You’re already attuned to making a positive social impact when you travel, but perhaps you can do even more.
Pack Your Impact
To really vibe with the locals, come prepared with ways to make a difference. Here are some ideas:
- Think of a social impact goal before you arrive, like understanding the local customs, and research a unique way to achieve it.
- Share a hobby or skill from back home that you can bring to the local community, from painting to music to cooking.
- Take part in local activities, like joining a drum circle or taking a traditional dance class.
Make Meaningful Connections
When interacting with locals, let curiosity be your guide. Talk to lots of people using these tactics:
- Have a controversial conversation and make it a game to prove your stereotypes wrong.
- If you don’t agree with a practice or belief, ask a local to explain why it’s important to them.
- Make a point of sharing something residents may not know about your own country.
- When you’re heading back home, surprise a local with your leftover currency, making sure it’s someone who needs it.
Unpack Your Impact
Keep this trip tight in your memory, and then prepare for the next one: