The application deadline for HI New York City's Travel Scholarship has passed. Applications for additional participating cities will roll out on March 15th. To receive information about next year's Explore the World Travel Scholarship, please join our mailing list.
Travel changes you. You change the world.
Soon you’ll be taking off to cities you’ve dreamed about visiting your whole life. You’ll be seeing the sights and volunteering with a local organization that needs your help.
At HI USA we think travel should be as much about making a difference in the world as it is about seeing it, so we’ve created the Explore the World Travel Scholarship. Recipients of the scholarship receive $2,000 to help finance their international trip as long as they have an educational or service component to their itinerary. We give to you so you can give back.
To be considered for the Explore the World Travel Scholarship, candidates must:
- Be 18 - 30 years of age
- Receive or have received a Federal Pell Grant
- Be a permanent, legal resident of the USA
- Have a permanent address and/or school address in one of New York City's five boroughs
- Have a strong desire and motivation to experience other people and cultures through international travel
- Plan to take a trip to a destination outside of the 50 United States before August 31, 2017 that incorporates volunteerism or service learning
- Tag social media posts and photos about your travel experience at least three times during your trip with #exploretheworld and @hiusa
- Complete a short post-travel report on your travel experience and submit at least 3 additional photos that can be shared in HI USA newsletters, website, social media, etc.
A scholarship committee of NYC residents will select awardees from completed, eligible applications. The Community Hostelling Fund committee will read and score applications based on the candidate’s ability to:
- present a compelling case on why/how the proposed travel will benefit him/herself and others
- convey a genuine interest in enhancing intercultural understanding through travel
- demonstrate financial need
Recipients have until August 31, 2017 to use the funds or the award will be forfeited.
Recipients will receive funding in two installments.
The first half ($1000) will be awarded before travel after completion of pre-trip requirements.
The second half ($1000) will be awarded upon return after completion of post-trip requirements.
For this reason, it is important that applicants plan their trip funding accordingly.
HI USA Staff, Community Hostelling Fund Committee Members, and their relatives are not eligible.
Scholarships will be awarded in person at HI NYC at 4pm on April 8, 2016. Awardees and their families are encouraged to attend this celebratory event.
For more information, please contact the scholarship representative in your area. NYC: Ellie Moore, email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in our Explore the World Scholarship Program.
The application deadline is March 4, 2016.