Lost/Stolen Card

Membership Card Replacement

If your membership card is lost or stolen, HI-USA will provide proof of membership (if you are traveling) or a replacement membership card (if you are home), as follows:

  • If you are traveling and want proof of membership, email the national office at with your name and address (so we can verify your membership). We will email proof of membership (to print and use for the duration of your trip) within 2-3 business days.
  • If you are home and want a replacement membership card, please fax (240-650-2094), phone (240-650-2100), email or mail (HI-USA, Attention: Membership, 8401 Colesville Rd, Suite 600, Silver Spring, MD 20910) for a replacement membership card to be mailed to your home address. Be sure to include your name and address in your communication so we can verify your membership.