HI USA is a non-profit organization founded on an enduring belief in the power of travel to foster a deeper understanding of people, places and the world around. We promote a dynamic community of global citizens who have the wisdom and humanity to actively make the world a better place.
Imagine a world where intercultural dialogue and global citizenship are part of every individual's experience. It's the sort of world that HI USA doesn't just dream about - it's a world we are hard at work creating through our programs.
We achieve our mission through the following educational programs:
- Travel Education: HI USA offers many programs to help ensure you are prepared to travel - World Travel 101, Europe by Rail, Women Traveling Solo. We want to help you plan so you can have a meaningful, transformative travel experience.
- IOU Respect: Each year, young people from Egypt, France, Germany, Lebanon, Tunisia, and the United States participate in Hostelling International’s IOU Respect international exchange program. The program prioritizes dialogue and interactive learning opportunities to bridge cultural divides and increase understanding.
- Outdoor Hostel Adventures: Our world is shared one. Being a global citizen not only affects how we treat each other, but also how we treat the world itself. OHA programs helps students to learn about nature and better understand their role as a guardian of the earth.
- Cultural Education Programs: Let HI USA bring the world to you! Cultural Education Programs offer an opportunity for students to research other cultures. Students then visit a hostel to prepare a cultural meal, share what they have learned, and meet hostel guests from all over the world.
- Scholarship Programs: Several HI USA locations offer travel scholarships. These scholarship help to offset the cost of travel, allowing more individuals to explore the world and other cultures.
- Great Hostel Give Back: At HI USA, we believe in the power of travel to open minds and the power of community service to open hearts. Every year, during January and February, we offer groups free overnight stays at HI USA hostels in exchange for service to the local community.
- Sleep for Peace: In September, HI USA hostels across the country celebrate the United Nations International Day of Peace. HI USA hostels bring together travelers from more than 100 countries, enabling dialogue among kindred spirits from diverse backgrounds. These personal connections often provide new perspective on global issues and world cultures.
Join the HI USA community of travelers, united by a spirit of discovery. We share a passion for travel, and a desire to come together to learn more about our world, each other, and ourselves.