Below are some volunteer frequently asked questions that can assist you in making your decision to stay at a Hostelling International USA hostel.
1) What are some volunteer opportunities with HI USA?
2) What are the benefits of being a volunteer with HI USA?
3) Do you offer work/trade opportunities?
4) Where can I find out about volunteer opportunities in a specific hostel or city?
5) How do I become a volunteer?
Volunteers 17 & Under Questions
HI-USA volunteers assist with various projects including, but not limited to:
- Offering opportunities for cultural exchange among travelers by leading hostel events, such as community meals, game nights, movie nights and more
- Sharing the local community with travelers by leading excursions and tours for travelers, such as walking tours, museum tours, pub crawls and more
- Serving as a concierge or info desk volunteer and sharing the highlight of the city; where to go, what to see, how to get there and more
- Teaching travel education classes, such as World Travel 101 and Women Traveling Solo
- Serving as ambassadors and attending events on behalf of HI USA
- Serving on various committees to help with local or national projects
There are several benefits to volunteering with us, including, but not limited to:
- Personal and professional growth
- Opportunity to share and utilize your skills and talents
- Opportunity to make a difference
- Leadership development opportunities
- Create friendships and join a community of people who love travel, hostelling and cultural exchange
- Practice a foreign language
- Volunteer appreciation and recognition opportunities
- Potential to earn complimentary HI USA memberships and dorm overnights
HI USA does not offer volunteers free room and board or work exchange programs in return for volunteering.
Click HERE to search for opportunities by location. Enter your city and state or zip code.
If you have questions about an opportunity or cannot locate an opportunity in your area please email email@example.com.
Becoming an HI USA volunteer is easy at 1, 2, 3
First complete the Become a Volunteer form
Then Complete the Online Orientation under My Account
Begin searching for opportunities in your area and Express Interest for opportunities that you are interested in. From there, a volunteer coordinator will follow up with you.
Volunteers 17 & Under Questions
All youth between the ages of 14 to 17 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian that is at least 18 years of age. Volunteers 17 and under must provide a waiver and release form signed by a parent or guardian.
The minimum age for volunteers is 14 years old. All youth between 14 and 17 must be accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older at all times. Youth may NOT be dropped off to volunteer. NOTE: not all hostels and regions support youth volunteer positions. If you have questions about which hostels and regions accept youth volunteers please email firstname.lastname@example.org
3) Can a group of youth volunteer together?
The minimum age for volunteers is 14 regardless if a volunteer is with a group or not. A group must have 1 adult chaperone to every 5 youth. In addition, each youth must provide a waiver and release form signed by a parent or guardian.
The group leader will need to contact the hostel or region directly to set up a volunteer opportunity. Note: not all hostels and regions are able to support volunteer groups. If you have questions about which hostels and regions accept volunteer groups please email email@example.com
Examples of volunteer projects that youth groups have assisted with include:
- Outdoor clean up projects
- Light hostel makeover projects
- Hosting kitchen supply drive for hostel
Note: If your group does not meet the age or chaperone ratio requirements listed above please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your group volunteering request.