Each guest at a HI USA hostel must purchase a daily, annual or lifetime membership. Your HI USA membership supports our mission to make transformative travel experiences accessible to more people through our hostels and programs.
Daily $3 memberships can be purchased at HI USA hostels upon arrival. Youth, adult, and life memberships can be purchased online, over the phone, or via mail. Youth and adult membership costs are for digital membership only. A physical membership card can be purchased for an additional fee.
Benefits (Annual and Life Memberships)
- Access to more than 3,000 hostels in over 80 countries worldwide.
- Discounts at independently operated affiliate hostels
- Discounts on all Lonely Planet products.
- Discounted Car Rentals through select partners.
- Discounts on Trek America - Valid for bookings made directly with TrekAmerica, HI offer must be mentioned at time of booking and cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotional discount. This offer is valid only for the Hostelling International member.
- An enewsletter and monthly hostel discounts.
Are you part of a U.S.-based group traveling with 8 or more people? Sign up for our free group membership.
*Youth, Life, and Group memberships are only available for U.S. residents. If you are not a U.S. resident, visit www.hihostels.com to find the closest Hostelling International office in your home country.
If you need assistance from our Membership Department, please call 240-650-2100 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time or email us at email@example.com. If you’ve lost your membership card and would like it to be emailed to you, be sure to include your name and address so we can verify your membership. We will email proof of membership within 2-3 business days.
Register your membership
If you purchased your membership in a hostel in 2017, please register your membership. If you purchased your membership from hiusa.org you're already registered.