About HI USA
Hostelling International USA believes in the power of travel to foster a deeper understanding of people, places, and the world around. This passion is at the heart of everything we do.
Who We Are
We bring travelers together in the largest hostel network in the USA, but that’s just the start: from local tours and experiences, to experiential learning programs, HI USA strives to bring moments of cultural understanding to our guests and community members. HI USA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, member-based organization that reinvests our surpluses back into our hostels and programs so they can have an even greater impact, year after year.
HI USA is proud to be part of Hostelling International (HI). With roots stretching back more than 100 years to the beginning of the hostelling movement, today HI has the largest network of hostels in the world. At HI USA hostels, we welcome travelers and HI members from around the globe.
As the nation’s leading hostel brand, HI USA hosted more than 1.15 million overnights in 2019, with guests from more than 100 countries. For over 80 years, HI USA has provided a network of affordable hostels in converted mansions, reinvented lighthouses, and historic urban buildings across the country. Today, all of our hostels meet HI’s industry-leading quality and sustainability standards.
HI USA promotes a dynamic community of global citizens who have the wisdom and humanity to actively make the world a better place. Our 30 hostels nationwide open doors to cultural discovery among people from across the country and around the world. As travelers get to know each other, they discover both their similarities and their differences, making their worldviews just a little bigger. Our guests connect with the destination’s local community through our volunteer-led experiences and through our partnerships with local shops, restaurants and venues. By exploring beyond the typical tourist attractions, hostellers get to see new cities and towns through the eyes of locals. They become travelers, not just tourists.
Our Vision for Hostelling
The HI USA Board of Directors governs our organization and sets the tone and expectations for our future. Our mission is guided by our 5-year strategic plan. By 2025 we aspire to be:
- A leading mission-based hostel provider in the world
- A valued hub for experiential learning facilitated through the hostel stay
- An effective advocate for hostels and for hostel travel
- A widely recognized champion for intercultural understanding
- A respected presence in communities where we operate
Learn more about HI USA’s progress and how we are accomplishing our mission in our most recent Annual Report.
Our Signature Programs
HI USA’s style of hostelling is focused on sustainable, inclusive and culturally-enriching experiences for travelers who want to feed their curiosity about the world. In addition to our affordable accommodations, guests have opportunities for learning and personal enrichment through exploratory activities, workshops and even custom programs.
- Explore America and Explore the World, two travel scholarships that fulfill young adults’ travel aspirations
- Sleep for Peace, our annual celebration of the UN’s International Day of Peace with intercultural exchange activities
- Supporting volunteerism through the Great Hostel Give Back
- IOU Respect, 2-week cultural exchange program that brings together participants from six countries to explore timely topics