About HI USA
Hostelling International USA believes in the power of travel to foster a deeper understanding of people, places, and the world around. This passion is at the heart of everything we do.
Who We Are
We bring travelers together in the largest hostel network in the USA, but that’s just the start: from local tours and experiences, to experiential learning programs, HI USA strives to bring moments of cultural understanding to our guests and community members. HI USA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, member-based organization that reinvests our surpluses back into our hostels and programs so they can have an even greater impact, year after year.
HI USA is proud to be part of Hostelling International (HI). With roots stretching back more than 100 years to the beginning of the hostelling movement, today HI has the largest network of hostels in the world. At HI USA hostels, we welcome travelers and HI members from around the globe.
As the nation’s leading hostel brand, HI USA hosted more than 1.15 million overnights in 2019, with guests from more than 100 countries. For over 80 years, HI USA has provided a network of affordable hostels in converted mansions, reinvented lighthouses, and historic urban buildings across the country. Today, all of our hostels meet HI’s industry-leading quality and sustainability standards.
- Community: We grow an inclusive movement of travelers grounded in exchange, respect, and diversity. As industry leaders, we foster a worldwide network of travel champions whose shared experiences catalyze intercultural understanding, creating global citizens.
- Integrity: We prioritize honesty, equity, and fairness in all circumstances. We encourage and support challenging conversations and accountability among our employees, leadership, partners, guests, and additional stakeholders.
- Respect: With courage, empathy, and open minds, we facilitate a deeper appreciation of how we are similar and different from each other and deliberately show the strength that can flow from that diversity. We foster active listening and amplify the dignity of all present in our hostels and programs.
- Relationships: We believe our collective health and welfare depends on valuing one another and educating ourselves on the inter-connectivity between people, perspectives, and planet as we balance social, financial, and environmental responsibility.
Our Vision for Hostelling
The HI USA Board of Directors governs our organization and sets the tone and expectations for our future. Our mission is guided by our 5-year strategic plan. By 2025 we aspire to be:
- A leading mission-based hostel provider in the world
- A valued hub for experiential learning facilitated through the hostel stay
- An effective advocate for hostels and for hostel travel
- A widely recognized champion for intercultural understanding
- A respected presence in communities where we operate
Learn more about HI USA’s progress and how we are accomplishing our mission in our most recent Annual Report.
Our Signature Programs
HI USA’s style of hostelling is focused on sustainable, inclusive and culturally-enriching experiences for travelers who want to feed their curiosity about the world. In addition to our affordable accommodations, guests have opportunities for learning and personal enrichment through exploratory activities, workshops and even custom programs.
- Explore America and Explore the World, two travel scholarships that fulfill young adults’ travel aspirations
- Say HI for Peace, our annual celebration of the UN’s International Day of Peace with intercultural exchange activities
- Supporting volunteerism through the Great Hostel Give Back
- IOU Respect, 2-week cultural exchange program that brings together participants from six countries to explore timely topics