Apply now to receive 5-10 FREE overnight stays at HI USA hostels, as well as a $500 travel stipend.
Your trip begins here. Your journey never ends.
If you’ve always dreamed of traveling, but weren’t sure where to start, apply for one of HI USA’s Explore America Scholarships. Scholarship recipients will receive 5-10 free overnight stays at HI USA hostels, as well as a $500 travel stipend. You can explore new cities, live like a local and meet people from around the world, right here in the US. From New York and L.A. to Portland and Martha’s Vineyard, each hostel offers a new opportunity to discover what makes our country so unique. You may just discover something about yourself along the way.
To be considered for the Explore America Travel Scholarship, candidates must meet the qualifying criteria:
- Be 18 - 30 years of age
- Be a permanent, legal resident of the USA
- Reside or attend school within one of the select HI USA metropolitan areas where the Explore America Scholarship is offered (Chicago, Austin or Houston)
- Have a strong desire and motivation to experience other people and cultures through hostelling
- Plan to take a trip to a HI USA hostel (within the United States) between February 15, 2017 and January 15, 2018
- Please Note: HI USA Staff, Committee Members, and their relatives are not eligible.
- Complete an Explore America Application
- Provide references
- Deadline: The deadline for the Explore America Scholarship is November 15, 2016
- Please Note: Applicants may only submit one Explore America application per calendar year.
Please visit the Program Details section for detailed information about eligibility requirements, application process, and program requirements.
Recipients will receive 5-10 consecutive overnights to be used at HI USA hostel(s). The overnights may be used at multiple hostels.
Awards will be split into two payments: an initial $250 payment prior to departure and the remaining $250 after return. Both installments require completion of program requirements. For this reason, it is important that applicants plan their trip funding accordingly.
Explore America is currently open to residents of Chicago, Houston and Austin areas. For more information, please contact the scholarship representative in your area. Contact information can be found on the Contact Us section