The Great Hostel Give Back
To be considered for the Great Hostel Give Back, groups must:
- Have at least 6 members, but no more than 30 members (including group leaders)
- Have a planned service opportunity in the local community surrounding the hostel that aligns with HI USA’s mission and values
- Participate in an approved hostel activity and Hostelling 101 session
- Complete the online GHGB application
- Please Note: Groups who have previously participated in the program, and completed the program requirements, may reapply for this year’s program.
- Groups who did not fulfill the program requirements are ineligible to return for this year’s program
Participating HI USA Locations:
Great Hostel Give Back is available during the months of January and February at the following HI USA locations (based on availability):
Joining the GHGB in 2020: HI New Orleans!
Failure to schedule or complete the program requirements may make your group ineligible to participate in the following year's Great Hostel Give Back programs.
- Submit a credit card as guarantee for cancellations/damages.
- Complete two hours of service each day in the community surrounding the hostel for each free overnight. If help is needed to find a group service project, please visit www.volunteermatch.org.
- Participate in a hostel engagement activity and a short Hostelling 101 session with a HI USA staff member or trained volunteer.
- Complete a post stay survey and submit at least three photos of the group participating in the service project or hostel event (all participants/group members over 18).
Application, Selection, and Reservation Process:
- Complete and submit the online GHGB Application between now and February 15.
- The application will be reviewed to ensure that groups have met the requirements and that hostel is available on the requested nights.
- Selection will be based on group eligibility, hostel availability, and alignment of volunteer service to HI USA’s mission and values
- Within two weeks, the group will be notified of acceptance into the program by an HI USA staff member. At this time you will need to book the room.
- A credit card is required as guarantee for damages, changes and/or cancellation (see Changes and Cancellation Policy below).
- One the room is booked, a separate HI USA Staff member will reach out to confirm your volunteer activity, schedule your hostel activity and 101 session.
- Complete the Program Requirements.
Changes & Cancellation Policy:
- Adding members to the reservation after confirmation is subject to availability.
- Reductions of up to 10% of the group booking can be made up until 14 days prior to arrival without penalty.
- Reductions of more than 10% of the group booking and/or made less than 14 days of arrival will result in a cancellation fee equal to the customary cost of the first night’s stay for all canceled beds.
- Cancellations should be made in writing at least 30 days prior to arrival.
- Cancellations made less than 30 days of arrival are subject to a cancellation fee equal to the customary cost of the first night’s stay for all canceled beds
For more information, please email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about future GHGB Programs, please join our mailing list.
We reserve the right to modify this agreement and any policies of HI USA Great Hostel Give Back. Modification is effective upon posting to our website or distribution via email or conventional mail.