Program DetailsEligibility Requirements
Participating HI USA Locations
Application & Selection Process
Changes & Cancellations
To be considered for the Great Hostel Give Back, groups must:
- Have at least 8 members
- Have a planned service opportunity in the local community surrounding the hostel
- Complete the online GHGB application
- Please Note: Groups who have previously participated in the program, and completed the program requirements, may reapply for this year’s program.
- Groups who did not fulfill the program requirements are ineligible to return for this year’s program
Participating HI USA Locations:
Great Hostel Give Back is available during the months of January and February at the following HI USA locations (based on availability):
|HI Los Angeles, Santa Monica||HI Mississippi Headwaters|
|HI Monterey||NEW YORK|
|HI Marin Headlands||HI New York|
|HI Pigeon Point Lighthouse||OHIO|
|HI Point Montara Lighthouse||HI Malabar Farm|
|HI Point Reyes||OREGON|
|HI Sacramento||HI Portland, Hawthorne District|
|HI San Diego, Downtown||HI Portland, Northwest|
|HI San Diego, Point Loma||TEXAS|
|HI San Francisco, City Center||HI Austin|
|HI San Francisco, Downtown||HI Houston|
|HI San Francisco, Fisherman's Wharf||VIRGINIA|
|HI Washington DC||WASHINGTON|
|HI Harper's Ferry|
- Complete two hours of service each day in the community surrounding the hostel for each free overnight. If help is needed to find a group service project, please visit www.volunteermatch.org.
- Participate in a short Hostelling 101 session with a HI USA staff member or trained volunteer and a pre-planned hostel engagement activity during their stay.
- Complete both a reservation contract (includes credit card guarantee for unused rooms/cancellations/damages) and program contract.
- Complete a pre-stay survey prior to the trip (all participants/group members over 18)
- Complete a post stay survey and submit at least three photos of the group participating in the service project or hostel event (all participants/group members over 18)
Application & Selection Process:
- Complete the online GHGB Application between now and February 15.
- A HI USA Staff member will review the application to ensure that groups have met the requirements and that hostel is available on the requested nights.
- Selection will be based on group eligibility, and hostel availability.
- Within two weeks, the group will be notified of acceptance into the program.
In order to participate in the program, groups must return the following:
- Reservation Contract with Credit Card Guarantee - due within 14 days of notification of acceptance into the GHGB program
- Includes confirmation of dates, credit card guarantee.
- Program Contract - due at least 14 days prior to arrival
- Includes explanation and date of volunteer project, date of hostel activity and hostel 101 date, and name and email addresses of participants over 18.
Program acceptance is tentative until both signed contracts have been submitted. Failure to submit contracts on time may result in cancellation of room reservation as stated in the cancellation policy.
Changes & Cancellation Policy:
- Adding members to the reservation after confirmation is subject to availability.
- Reductions of up to 10% of the group booking can be made up until 14 days prior to arrival without penalty.
- Reductions of more than 10% of the group booking and/or made less than 14 days of arrival will result in a cancellation fee equal to the customary cost of the first night’s stay for all cancelled beds.
- Cancellations should be made in writing at least 30 days prior to arrival.
- Cancellations made less than 30 days of arrival are subject to a cancellation fee equal to the customary cost of the first night’s stay for all cancelled beds
For more information, please email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We reserve the right to modify this agreement and any policies of HI USA Great Hostel Give Back. Modification is effective upon posting to our website or distribution via email or convention mail.