Thinking about applying for the Great Hostel Give Back? Check out our participating hostels, eligibility requirements, and terms & conditions.
To be considered for the Great Hostel Give Back, groups must:
- Have at a minimum of 6 individuals and maximum of 30 individuals
- Have a planned service opportunity in the local community surrounding the hostel that aligns with HI USA’s mission and values
- Agree to have your group members participate in a pre-stay virtual travel program
- Travel 101
- Study Abroad 101
- Hostelling 101
- Complete the online GHGB application
Please Note: Groups that have previously participated in the program and completed the program requirements may reapply for this year’s program. Groups that did not fulfill the program requirements are ineligible to return for this year’s program.
Participating HI USA Locations
Great Hostel Give Back is available during the months of January and February at the following HI USA locations (based on availability):
- HI Boston
- HI Chicago
- HI Los Angeles Santa Monica
- HI New York City
- HI Pigeon Point Lighthouse
- HI Point Montara Lighthouse
- HI Sacramento
- HI San Francisco Downtown
- HI San Francisco Fisherman’s Wharf
- HI San Diego Downtown
- Submit a credit card as guarantee for unused rooms/cancellations/damages.
- Complete two hours of service each day in the community surrounding the hostel for each free overnight. (If you need help finding a group service project, please visit www.volunteermatch.org).
- Agree to have your group members participate in a pre-stay virtual travel program Options include:
- Travel 101 – Discover the benefits of exploring new locations
- Study Abroad 101 – Understand the basics of study abroad
- Hostelling 101 – What is a hostel and why is it a great way to see the world?
- Complete a post-stay survey and submit at least three photos of the group participating in the service project or hostel event (all participants/group members over 18).
Failure to schedule and/or complete the program requirements may make your group ineligible to participate in the following year’s Great Hostel Give Back program.
Application, Selection, and Reservation Process
- Complete and submit the online GHGB Application as early as possible. We are accepting applications, pending hostel availability, through Feb. 21, 2024.
- The application will be reviewed to ensure groups have met the requirements and that hostel is available on the requested nights.
- Selection will be based on group eligibility, hostel availability, and alignment of volunteer service to HI USA’s mission and values
- Within two weeks, the group will be notified of acceptance into the program by a HI USA staff member. At this time, you will need to book your group reservation with an assigned staff member.
- A credit card is required as guarantee for damages, changes and/or cancellation (see Changes and Cancellation Policy below).
- Once we’ve booked your room(s), a separate HI USA Staff member will reach out to confirm your volunteer activity and schedule your pre-travel virtual program.
- Complete the above Program Requirements.
Failure to schedule and/or complete the program requirements may make your group ineligible to participate in the following year’s Great Hostel Give Back programs.
Changes & Cancellation Policy:
- All changes to reservations must be received in writing.
- Adding members to the reservation after confirmation is subject to availability.
- Cancellations or reductions must be made in writing at least 14 days prior to arrival.
- Cancellations or reductions made within 14 days of arrival will result in a cancellation fee equal to the customary cost of the first night’s stay for all canceled beds.
We reserve the right to modify this agreement and any policies of HI USA Great Hostel Give Back. Modification is effective upon posting to our website or distribution via email or conventional mail.
Applications for GHGB 2024 are now open. Complete and submit the online GHGB Application as early as possible. We are accepting applications, pending hostel availability, through Feb. 21, 2024.