APPLICATION OPENS: January 15, 2017
Travel changes you. You change the world.
At HI USA we think travel should be as much about making a difference in the world as it is about seeing it, so we’ve created Explore the World Travel Scholarships. Recipients of the scholarship receive $2,000 to help finance their international trip as long as they have an educational or service component to their itinerary. We give to you so you can give back.
To be considered for the Explore the World Travel Scholarship, candidates must meet the qualifying criteria:
- Be 18 - 30 years of age
- Be a current Pell Grant recipient, former Pell Grant recipient, or have a current income level does not exceed 300% of poverty line
- Be a permanent, legal resident of the USA
- Reside or attend school in one of the select metropolitan areas where HI USA has a community presence. [Stay tuned for complete list]
- Have a strong desire and motivation to experience other people and cultures through international travel
- Plan to take a trip to a destination outside of the 50 United States between now and August 31, 2018 that incorporates education, volunteerism or service learning.
- Complete an Explore the World Application for your location. Don't forget to check out our 7 Tips for a Successful Explore the World Application!
- Provide references
- If selected as a finalist, participate in an interview
- Deadline: The deadline for the Explore the World Scholarship is March 15, 2017.
- Please Note: Applicants may only submit one application per calendar year
Awards will be split into two payments: an initial $1,000 payment prior to departure and the remaining $1,000 after return. Both installments require completion of program requirements. For this reason, it is important that applicants plan their trip funding accordingly. HI USA Staff, Committee Members, and their relatives are not eligible.
For more information, please contact the scholarship representative in your area. Contact Information can be found on the Contact Us section.