Welcome to HI-Harpers Ferry!
Ideal for the Backpacker – Appalachian Trail Hostels
Just two miles from Harpers Ferry National Historic Park, this cozy lodge stands high on a bluff, overlooking the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers. The 33-bed youth hostel is perfect for backpackers of the Appalachian Trail, as well as visitors to the Civil War Battlefields of Western Maryland (Antietam, Catoctin, Monocacy). Washington, DC, Baltimore , MD and Gettysburg, PA are only an hour away.
A Backpacker Youth Hostel Ideal for Outdoor Adventuring
HI-Knoxville Harpers Ferry is located at mile post 59 of the C&O towpath where it overlaps the Appalachian Trail. The perfect gateway for short day hikes and bide rides, guests also love to take dips in the cool waters of the Potomac River, take guided rafting tours or rent a tube and float down the river.
Cheap Hostel, Fabulous Vacation
Not only can you save money on your vacation by staying at our cheap Appalachian Trail hostel, you can also take advantage of many free or inexpensive activities on our grounds or nearby.
- Use our equipment to play frisbee, volleyball or badminton.
- Relax beside the fireplace with a good book from our extensive library, or build a campfire outside for s'mores.
- The Contemporary American Theatre Festival and live music clubs are in nearby Shepherdstown, West Virginia
- Both Amtrak (daily) and the MARC (workdays-only) provide train service to and from Washington DC's Union Station.
Hostel stays start at $18 per night for dorm rooms and $40 per night for private rooms. Taxes and fees are added upon check in.
- Your stay includes sheets, a towel, blankets and a pillow.
- We also offer a free pancake breakfast and free coffee and tea is provided throughout the day.
- Camping is available at $6 per person. This fee includes access to a port o pot, potable water, a newly built camping pavilion, firepit and grills.
- You can also use the coin operated laundry inside, as well as our inside bathroom facilities ($5 shower fee).
- You do not have access to hostel space or the kitchen when camping.
"My young adult grandson, Mike, and I just spent a great few days at the Harper's Ferry Hostel, camping, joining a couple pancake breakfasts and, eventually, volunteering with a few projects. Mike had never been to a hostel, and was totally inspired by the whole environment, talking with other guests, waking up early to engage in hostel life, and applying his artistic ability with some sign painting. We had just hiked six days on the Appalachian Trail and happened upon HF Hostel by the recommendation of another hiker we met in Harper's Ferry. The homespun environment at HF Hostel made us both believers in hostelling."
Address & Contact
19123 Sandy Hook Rd.
Knoxville MD 21758
GPS 39.326582, -77.700360
- Mile Post 59.5 on C&O Canal Towpath and AT (hikers)
- Mile Post 61 on C&O Canal Towpath (bikers)
Bed Capacity (33)
Male Dorm (12 beds)
Female Dorm (10 beds)
Co-ed (6 beds)
Off Season Hours
Office Hours: 7am-10am & 5pm-10pm
Office Hours: 7am-10pm
April 15th to December 1st
The hostel can be reserved during the off season for a flat rate of $250.00 plus tax per day.